General advice on Drum Insurance

Before you buy music insurance, musical instrument insurance or any Drum insurance consider the cover you require. You should consider how you play your Drum(s). We hope that the following may help you consider what options are right for you:-


That depends, consider the following...

  • If you take your instrument out of the home, say to school or a gig, you will need to check that your household policy covers this (normally an out of home extension is required).

    • Most home policies require theft involving force but in practice Instruments are most often left in unlocked rooms or store rooms.

  • This extension will normally have a single item limit. Is your Drum below this limit?

  • Will it cover loss/ theft from a building e.g. a concert hall/ school or if left on a school bus?

  • What is your policy excess (typically £100, £250 etc.).

  • Will a claim following damage to your Drum affect your Contents No Claims Discount (if applicable).

  • Will your contents insurers know where best to repair your Drum?

  • If you damage your Drum would your contents policy pay for a loan of a Drum to enable you to continue to play?

  •  A specialist policy covers your Drum in and outside the home for the UK and can be extended to cover the Drum on a worldwide basis.

  • A standard £0 policy excess applies (although you can consider taking an excess if required).

  • Policy extensions to include loaning of instrument.

  • Other benefits include:

    1. Worldwide, UK and Premises only cover options

    2. Theft cover

    3. Accidental damage cover

    4. Loss cover

    5. Unspecified musical accessory cover comes as standard (limit £350)

    6. Unattended vehicle cover

    7. Hire costs in the event of a claim

    8. 14 days free cover when you borrow/acquire a new instrument (limit £3,500)

    9. UK wide repair network

  • Depreciation cover is included as standard within Newmoon’s policy

In addition to Drum insurance on the instrument you may be asked to play in public – for example at parties, weddings etc. Often you are then asked for music Public Liability cover (musician liability insurance). Newmoon can provide cover for Public Liability from £22 for £1m limit of indemnity. We can also provide cover under band insurance – please call Newmoon on 01892 506884 to discuss.

Whilst Newmoon provide comprehensive Drum insurance players should still look after their instrument as Drum insurance cannot cover everything and the following guidelines are we hope helpful:-

General maintenance – keep the Drum kit is in good order, tightening where necessary and check the pedal! Some musicians undertake an annual service and may remove heads and lugs.

Case – consider keeping the instrument in a case when not in use.

Ask - Your retailer will provide you with the best advice and servicing.


Support your retailer.

With Drum insurance starting from just £21 why not call Newmoon on 01892 506884 and speak direct to an expert who can discuss your Mandolin insurance requirements. Or visit our Harmonic or Natural products at to get an online Drum insurance or musical instrument insurance quote.

Didn't find your question?


©2016 New Moon Insurance Services Limited. All Rights Reserved.

New Moon Insurance Services Limited is registered in England No. 6610290.Registered Office: Pine Grove Business Centre, Pine Grove, Crowborough East Sussex TN6 1DH. New Moon Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Our FCA registration number is 706599. New Moon Insurance Services Limited administers music insurance in the UK on behalf of Ecclesiastical Insurance - prior to 1/6/19 Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd and upto 12/2/19 in ROI. After 13/2/19 Music in ROI is with Ecclesiastical Insurance. Gun insurance on behalf of Ecclesiastical Insurance from 1st November 2020 - prior to this date it was with UK General.

 MIS Underwriting from 1st December 2020 will take over the music ROI account. Prior to this date the account was manage by D O'Loughlin & Co Ltd service on behalf of New Moon Insurance Services Ltd . Both MIS Underwriting and D O'Loughlin & Co ltd t/a O'Loughlin Insurance Group & Musician Insurance are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, .


Powered by Loai Design Studio