top of page

General advice on Accordion Insurance

Before you buy music insurance, musical instrument insurance or any Accordion insurance and Melodeon insurance, consider the cover you require. You should consider how you play your Accordion/Melodeon(s). We hope that the following may help you consider what options are right for you:-


That depends, consider the following...

  • If you take your instrument out of the home, say to school or a gig, you will need to check that your household policy covers this (normally an out of home extension is required).

    • Most home policies require theft involving force but in practice Instruments are most often left in unlocked rooms or store rooms.

  • This extension will normally have a single item limit. Is your Accordion or Melodeon below this limit?

  • Will it cover loss/ theft from a building (e.g. a concert hall/school or if left on a school bus?)

  • What is your policy excess (typically £100, £250 etc.).

  • Will a claim following damage to your Accordion or Melodeon affect your Contents No Claims Discount (if applicable).

  • Will your contents insurers know where best to repair your instrument?

  • If you damage your Accordion or Melodeon would your contents policy pay for a loan of an Accordion or Melodeon to enable you to continue to play?

  •  A specialist policy covers your Accordion or Melodeon in and outside the home for the UK and can be extended to cover it on a worldwide basis.

  • A standard £0 policy excess applies (although you can consider taking an excess if required).

  • Policy extensions to include loaning of the Accordion or Melodeon.

  • Other benefits include:

    1. Worldwide, UK and Premises only cover options

    2. Theft cover

    3. Accidental damage cover

    4. Loss cover

    5. Unspecified musical accessory cover comes as standard (limit £350)

    6. Unattended vehicle cover

    7. Hire costs in the event of a claim

    8. 14 days free cover when you borrow/acquire a new instrument (limit £3,500)

    9. UK wide repair network

  • Depreciation cover is included as standard within Newmoon’s musical instrument insurance policy.

Whilst Newmoon provide comprehensive Accordion and Melodeon insurance, players should still look after their instrument as Accordion and Melodeon insurance cannot cover everything and the following guidelines should be followed:-

Storage. Most Accordions/Melodeons are stored vertically resting on the feet (normally 4 pads on the bass end). Otherwise valves hang upside down. Examples of horizontal storing include a few button Accordions/Melodeons and some tone chamber Accordions/Melodeons. If in doubt, ask your retailer.

Temperature changes. When you bring your Accordion/Melodeon in from the cold always let it warm up slowly – otherwise water condenses in the reeds from the warm air which is a major cause of rust on the reeds (not covered by Accordion and Melodeon insurance).

Sunlight – avoid leaving your instrument in the direct sun for a prolonged time as this may dry out the reed wax holding the reeds in place (not covered by Accordion and Melodeon insurance)

Case – we would recommend your carry your Accordion/Melodeon in a case whenever possible (placing the keyboard first).

Ask- Your local retailer will provide you with the best advice and servicing. Support your retailer.

With Accordion and Melodeon insurance starting from just £21 why not call Newmoon on 01892 280323 and speak direct to a music instrument insurance expert who can discuss your Accordion or Melodeon insurance requirements. Or visit our Harmonic or Natural products at to get an online musical instrument insurance quote.

Didn't find your question?

bottom of page